After seeing Star Wars 7 for the third time (this time in home instead of the previous 3D and 2D experiences) I was paying attention to the tiniest details of the movie and things one wouldn't ever pay attention to. For some reason, I have no idea why, but people claim that Rey is a Mary Sue. If you don't know what Mary Sue is, basically Mary Sue is overly perfect character, such as a rookie who was able to use a hairpin to bypass security of Starship Enterprise without ever seeing it before and operating it all by themselves without any prior knowledge of it. This is a very ridiculous claim and comparison because Rey does mistakes and everything about her makes sense in the context. Obviously, this has some major spoilers so if you've not seen the movie yet, you shouldn't read this. Then again, if you've not seen this movie yet, what's wrong with you? Joking aside, let's get to the list.
1) In the scene where they first meet, Finn saves Rey when he recognizes the sound of Tie Fighters. Rey did not and without his aid, Rey would have died. Mary Sue would have recognized the sound of Tie Fighters, without ever seeing or hearing Tie Fighter in her life before.
2) When in the cargo ship, Rey is trying to close the doors to save Han Solo and give him time to escape. She mixes up fuses and lets out two Rahthars in both sides of Han Solo, almost causing him to be eaten and nearly costing the life of Finn. This is alone is already prime example against her being Mary Sue, since a Mary Sue would never cause this huge mix up that'd put everyone including herself into a danger.
3) After given the blaster gun by Han Solo, Rey finds a lone storm trooper and tries to shoot him. She fails and realizes that she had the safety on, quickly goes to turn it off, the storm trooper notices her and they exchange fire. There's no way a Mary Sue would ever make the mistake of trying to fire a gun with the safety on.
4) Rey fails in her first attempt at using force to order the storm trooper to do her biding, instead of being able to do it from the start which is what Mary Sue would be able to do. People complained that she had no training in Jedi skills and was able to use it but neither did Luke have training in using the force to shoot the torpedoes without guidance. Luke did not receive a formal Jedi training before Yoda and only briefly had training with the light saber by Obi Wan Kenobi.
5) Many people have complained about how Rey wins Kylo Ren in the fight. What they don't seem to have realized is that Chewbacca shot Kylo Ren in the stomach with the crossbow gun that was able to kill an armored man by a direct hit and that Kylo Ren was in fight with Finn as well where he got hit and injured again just prior to the fight. Even as injured, Kylo Ren was still winning Rey before she was able to use the force to win him. The only advantage Kylo Ren had in the fight was that he could use the force and neither Finn nor Rey could but once Rey was able to use the force, he was injured and she was not and thus she was able to beat him.
In short, I don't really know why people claim that Rey is a Mary Sue, it feels like they have not even seen the same movie or just didn't pay attention.
Listening to: beer